ACCOUNTANT (Posted October 22, 2018)
Massachusetts Communities Action Network (MCAN) seeks a dynamic, justice-focused accounting
expert to support our team. This position will help ensure the financial integrity of the organization.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for providing financial support
for our multi-office non-profit organization, with its main office based in Boston. This position will work
directly to support and mentor an internal bookkeeper.
MCAN is a network of six faith- and values-based community organizations working for economic and
racial justice. Our faith and values and our critical racial analysis call us to fight for a Massachusetts
where every person can live a life of dignity. We believe that those closest to the issues are the best suited
to lead our campaigns, and our organizing approach includes storytelling, relationship building, and
training to develop the power of community leaders.
MCAN and its member affiliates provide leadership across multiple campaign spaces, including
economic justice (raising the minimum wage, winning Paid Family and Medical Leave, jobs and job
training for youth and excluded workers, and winning a millionaire’s tax to increase state investment in
education and transportation); criminal justice (statewide and local reforms to reduce incarceration and
create opportunities for formerly incarcerated people); immigrant justice (MCAN affiliates are deeply
involved in sanctuary work and state and local legislative campaigns to welcome immigrants); and
education justice (increasing access to career technical education, addressing inequities in school funding; creating more welcoming and healing school environments). MCAN affiliates also regularly engage in non-partisan voter engagement work. Our statewide affiliates are: Brockton Interfaith Community, Essex County Community Organization, Pioneer Valley Project, Prophetic Resistance Boston, United Interfaith Action, Worcester Interfaith, and I Have a Future.
● General ledger maintenance, bank and account reconciliations
● Prepare balance sheet reconciliations.
● Prepare and post journal entries.
● Assist directors in developing annual and program budgets
● Restricted grant budget development and restricted grant release accounting.
● Oversight of bookkeeping and payroll function.
● Prepare audit and tax return schedules for auditors.
● Generate monthly financial statements and analysis.
● Assist independent auditors during annual audit.
● Interpret financial results and flag trends and discrepancies
● Improve financial reporting
● Monitor & further develop organization-wide internal controls
● Assess the financial implications of strategic plans
● Support our addition of a C4 organization to our bookkeeping
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
● Working knowledge of GAAP.
● Knowledge of accounting practices relevant to non-profit accounting.
● Current on Quickbooks or similar computer based accounting software and Microsoft Office.
● Strong organizational, problem-solving and time management skills are required.
● High degree of accuracy and attention to detail is needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
● At least five (5) years accounting experience.
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
● Prior work experience in a non-profit environment preferred.
● Prior work with a C3/C4 entity a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position is a part time, at will position. The hours will fluctuate according to the season of work and
therefore will be paid on an hourly rate. We are looking to contract with someone for approximately 12-
To apply please send the following materials to Lorreta Rocha at email@example.com:
● An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format).
● A cover letter stating why you want this position and your qualifications.
● Salary history/requirements
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. MCAN has a strong commitment to diversity,
equity and inclusion – people of color, women and members of other under-represented groups are
strongly encouraged to apply.
MCAN provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, MCAN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. MCAN is an equal opportunity employers and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.