COMMUNICATIONS AND DIGITAL ORGANIZING DIRECTOR (Posted May 16, 2018)
Massachusetts Communities Action Network (MCAN) seeks a dynamic, justice-focused, communications expert and digital organizer to join our statewide team. This position will help build the narrative and digital power of MCAN and its six local affiliates, elevating the voices of marginalized communities and communities of faith with a strong coordinated narrative and digital presence in the public arena.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This position will be responsible for all external communications, including:
● Work closely with clergy and people of all faiths and races and who are directly impacted by racial and economic inequality to bring a people-centered, faith voice to all communications
● Coordinating brand and messaging strategy, especially helping build and drive a coherent narrative that can cut across our various issue campaigns and across our affiliate members
● Build online organizing strategies to reach our constituencies and move people to action
● Lead digital communications efforts in support of state and regional policy campaigns to maximize press coverage, drive media outreach, develop digital strategies for external communications, and develop and nurture relationships with leaders of online platforms
● Train staff, clergy, and volunteers leaders in strategic digital communication
● Create compelling and creative visuals to advance social justice; video, photo, art
● Ensure digital communications strategies are data driven, tracking performance metrics
● Successful candidates will have led communications efforts for grassroots, political, religious, labor, public relations firms, news media outlets, or other advocacy based non-profits.
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO
Draw on an intersectional analysis of racialization and other forms of oppression
● Work with diverse faith institutions and racial/ethnic communities
● Collaborate with local organizing staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for communications and online organizing tools
● Willingness to periodically travel around the state and to national convenings
● Experience with digital online platforms like WordPress, Salsa, HTML, CSS, Photoshop
● Compelling storytelling capabilities to transform information into visual (video, photo, and graphic) and interactive executions, facility with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.), video-editing software (Final Cut, etc.)
● Update and maintain our social media presence, including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting social media platform updates
● Work at campaign pace without sacrificing quality
● Manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritizing work effectively on deadlines
● Write compelling copy under tight deadlines
● Write and manage e-blasts and e-newsletters
● Draft news releases, media alerts, op eds, and letters to the editor
● Build strong relationships and pitch local and national media
● Update the organization’s website and database regularly
● Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
● Previous experience in community organizing a plus
● Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop highly desired
● Knowledge of HTML, website content management and graphic design a plus
● Cultural competence to work in a multi-racial, multi-faith environment
● Experience working with low-income and/or immigrant communities of color, with a commitment to cultural sensitivity and respect for differences
● Ability to work well independently, and within a team
● Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the organization’s mission
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
As a full-time employee, salary is in the $60,000 to $70,000 range and is based on experience. Benefits includes health insurance, mileage, and a monthly reimbursement for cellphone. The job includes regular evening work and some weekend work.
To apply please send the following materials to Lorreta Rocha at email@example.com:
• An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format).
• A cover letter stating why you want this position and your qualifications.
• A writing sample or other relevant content that demonstrates your communications experience and skill set.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
DATA COORDINATOR (posted May 9, 2018)
This is a customer service-oriented position, where the services provided are data and technology capacity building, reporting, and technical support. The ideal candidate will be in constant contact with the MCAN’s affiliates to help them maximize the scope of multiple organizing and civic engagement campaigns through strategic use of data systems.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Lorreta Rocha at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please keep in mind that MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women and people of color to apply.