Join Our Team: Finance & Admin Mgr
Massachusetts Communities Action Network (MCAN) is a network of faith and community organizations in MA working for economic and racial justice. Our faith and values and our critical racial analysis call us to fight for a Massachusetts where every person can live a life of dignity. We believe that those closest to the issues are the best suited to lead our campaigns, and our organizing approach includes storytelling, relationship building, and training to develop our leaders.
Over the last few years, MCAN played a major role in co-leading economic justice fights. We coordinated the largest 501c3 grassroots campaigns in the state to raise the minimum wage to $11/hr, to guarantee earned sick time for all workers, and to increase taxes on annual income over $1 million to fund education and transportation. We also co-lead the Jobs Not Jails Coalition, working to secure criminal justice reform through the Justice Reinvestment Act.
Our statewide affiliates are: Brockton Interfaith Community, Essex County Community Organization, Pioneer Valley Project, Worcester Interfaith, and the Youth Jobs Coalition.
MCAN is seeking a full time Finance and Admin Coordinator to run the MCAN office located in Dorchester, MA and support the operational needs of the statewide organization.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of organizational support services and demonstrate strong critical thinking and strategic planning skills. This person must be able to work independently with little to no supervision, exceedingly well organized, adaptable and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting a statewide organization of diverse people and programs.
The ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment, often times under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism is crucial to this role. Expert level written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important. An aptitude to problem solve and multi-task is also essential.
Above all, the ideal candidate will have a proven commitment to social justice, thrive in a team-based atmosphere and express comfort working in a multi-racial, multi-faith environment.
The Finance and Administration Coordinator (FAC) is responsible for improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of the organization’s mission. The FAC monitors, manages and improves the efficiency and effectiveness of Support Services (Finance, Compliance, HR, Admin & IT) and drives initiatives that contribute to long-term operational excellence.
- Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for MCAN’s board of directors/Deputy Director.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for MCAN central, existing affiliates, and proposed new sites.
- Support our bookkeeper: support audit activities.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies and organizations and serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing compliance issues (e.g. tracking lobbying expenses, campaign finance reporting, voter registration reporting, etc.).
Administrative Leadership and Management
- Serve as a business partner to the ED/DD on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- Lead MCAN to design an IT plan for the future, and implement it successfully to meet IT needs (hardware and software) as the organization grows.
- Manage the organization’s physical infrastructure, and system maintenance (phone system, cleaning, supplies, etc.)
- Manage HR documentation, including, but not limited to, employee timesheets, attendance records, reimbursement requests, vacation requests, grievance reports, etc.
- Support day-to-day administrative needs of MCAN office, including but not limited to: answering incoming calls, faxing, mailing, shipping, scanning, ordering catering for in-office meetings, record-keeping, arranging travel, meetings and appointments, data entry, etc.
- Commitment to social justice and the personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to MCAN’s mission
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
- 3+ years of operations experience ideally in the nonprofit sector, including:
- Administrative and information technology support
- Financial and accounting principles and best practice
- Human resource principles and best practices
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with basic IT troubleshooting and navigating data systems
- High level of professionalism and a positive attitude
- Strong work ethic and excellent time-management. Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being highly detail-oriented.
- 100% follow-through and prompt turnaround
- Proven success implementing major projects to completion. This should include a demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Extensive knowledge of administrative online applications, such as Google Hangout, GoToMeeting, Skype, GroupMe, SurveyMonkey, RegOnline, SugarSync, etc.
- Familiarity with tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Familiarity with election compliance implications and reporting
- Familiarity with any of the following databases: SalesForce, VAN, Salsa and/or QuickBooks online
- Experience managing vendors
- Spanish language proficiency
This is a full time salaried position ranging from 40K to low 50k dependent on experience. MCAN offers a flexible schedule with competitive benefits.
All applicants must apply for this position online.
Please have the following three (3) documents ready to upload:
- An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) including 3 references and salary history;
- A cover letter (stating how your past experience makes you the ideal candidate for this position);
- A 3-5 page writing sample (preferably related to public policy issue).
Resumes will be accepted via this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org