Join Our Team: Development Director
Development Director Application
Massachusetts Communities Action Network (MCAN) is a network of faith and community organizations in MA working for economic and racial justice. Our faith and values and our critical racial analysis call us to fight for a Massachusetts where every person can live a life of dignity. We believe that those closest to the issues are the best suited to lead our campaigns, and our organizing approach includes storytelling, relationship building, and training to develop our leaders.
Over the last few years, MCAN played a major role in co-leading economic justice fights. We coordinated the largest 501c3 grassroots campaigns in the state to raise the minimum wage to $11/hr, to guarantee earned sick time for all workers, and to increase taxes on annual income over $1 million to fund education and transportation. We also co-lead the Jobs Not Jails Coalition, working to secure criminal justice reform through the Justice Reinvestment Act.
Our statewide affiliates are: Brockton Interfaith Community, Essex County Community Organization, Pioneer Valley Project, Worcester Interfaith, and the Youth Jobs Coalition.
The Development Director creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which includes individual donors, events, and grant solicitations. As a community organizing group, we integrate this culture into our fundraising and engage donors and staff to be significant leaders in the fundraising efforts.
MCAN engages thousands of people across the state in our campaigns for economic and racial justice – some give money, others give time, and some give both.
Plan fund development activities
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Fundraising Advisory Committee and Board of Directors to create a fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
Organize fund development activities
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Manage the grant calendar and prepare and submit grant applications and reports in timeline manner
- Build relationships with current and new foundation staff
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan
- Coordinate a process to identify and develop individual donor prospects
- Coordinate a communication and stewardship process to further build relationships with individual donors
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database
Staff fund development activities
- Supervise a Fund Development associate and potentially a year long fellow to support fundraising activities
- Engage donors/volunteers in leadership roles for fund development activities
- Provide coaching and mentorship towards the fundraising activities of MCAN affiliates across the state
The Development Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Hard Worker: Exhibit a strong work ethic and excellent time management; flexible and a self starter, that is able to multi-task while also being highly detail oriented.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to create new fundraising opportunities
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Have a high level of consciousness around race, class, and interfaith language
- Some experience or understanding of community organizing work
- University degree
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience
- Training in Fundraising Management is an asset
Proficiency in the use of computer for:
- Fundraising software
- Word processing
This is a full time salaried position ranging from 55K to 65K dependent on experience. MCAN offers a flexible schedule with competitive benefits.
Please email the following three (3) documents to Jcarreiro@mcan-pico.org
- An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) including 3 references and salary history;
- A cover letter (stating how your past experience makes you the ideal candidate for this position);
- A 3‐5 page writing sample (preferably a grant application, donor email or other fundraising related document).