Data & Communications Manager Application
Massachusetts Communities Action Network (MCAN) is a network of faith and community organizations in MA working for economic and racial justice. Our faith and values and our critical racial analysis call us to fight for a Massachusetts where every person can live a life of dignity. We believe that those closest to the issues are the best suited to lead our campaigns, and our organizing approach includes storytelling, relationship building, and training to develop our leaders.
Over the last few years, MCAN played a major role in co-leading economic justice fights. We coordinated the largest 501c3 grassroots campaigns in the state to raise the minimum wage to $11/hr, to guarantee earned sick time for all workers, and to increase taxes on annual income over $1 million to fund education and transportation. We also co-lead the Jobs Not Jails Coalition, working to secure criminal justice reform through the Justice Reinvestment Act.
Our statewide affiliates are: Brockton Interfaith Community, Essex County Community Organization, Pioneer Valley Project, Worcester Interfaith, and the Youth Jobs Coalition.
The Data & Communications Manager will be responsible for helping MCAN respond to the question: “What does it look like for MCAN to be a prophetic voice in Massachusetts?”
They will identify opportunities in our campaigns to amplify the stories of our leaders, and to reflect our faith and values through online and offline media campaigns and articles in local press. They understand the role of communications in developing powerful strategies and actions. Furthermore, they’re eager to improve on what has been done before, and draw on metrics to guide how our communications and organizing can be strengthened.
- – Mobilize online constituency through social media, online action, and email campaigns. Manage digital media and website presence.
- – Amplify the voice of our grassroots leaders by identifying key stories and powerful faith and values experiences.
- – Build local power by maintaining relationships with local press and supporting affiliates to publish communications pieces for major campaigns.
- – Build network-wide communications capacity through coaching and leading trainings for staff and leaders.
- – Design and produce MCAN communications, online and in print, following design guidelines. Provide design consultation for other affiliates.
- – Use metrics to improve quality of communications, increase MCAN’s reach, and deepen member engagement.
- – Offer insights to best organizing practices through further developing a data culture among organizers, and supporting organizers in analyzing their organizing patterns
- – Create data and tracking systems for campaigns to maintain rigorous accountability to goals and identifying strengths and weaknesses
- – Manage databases to ensure data accuracy and connection with constituency
- – Familiarity with design – preferably with experience with the Adobe Creative Suite
- – Strong writing skills, ability to write punchy and persuasive emails and other communications pieces quickly
- – Experience with HTML and web content management systems (i.e. WordPress)
- – Proficiency with spreadsheets, and experience managing databases
- – High level of consciousness around race, class, and interfaith language
- – Some experience or understanding of organizing work
- – A self-starter who’s detail-oriented, able to take initiative and ownership of projects, and able to provide creative and strategic feedback in the planning process
- – Relational working style – ability to listen well, collaborate, and coach effectively
Please send a resume, portfolio, and cover letter detailing how your experience and skills make you the best candidate for the job to email@example.com.